Graydon wrote:
On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:02:05PM -0700, Godfrey DiGiorgi scripsit:
While I don't disbelieve you, I've yet to see a single credible report
of a Adobe Reader/PDF malware attack on Mac OS X documented. If you
can cite one I'd be much obliged.

Top-posting is of the devil.

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/26/more_mac_malware/> isn't Adobe
Reader; it's CS4.  So we've certainly got a live exploit for Adobe
products on OS X.

Pfft. "Trojan-horse software dubbed OSX.Trojan.iServices.B hitches a ride on pirated copies of Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Mac that are being distributed in warez channels."

I'd call that "You reap what you sow"-ware. It's not something that can be exploited in a stock install of the OS, or after installing any commercially available software -- you have to steal some specifically hacked-up software to get it. And it doesn't even have any virus- or worm-like propagation methods. Reasonably unlikely malware threat for the vast majority of users.

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/26/more_mac_malware/> isn't OS X
specific, but it does note that you don't need more than reader and PDF
files to have a worm.

So I'd be wildly disinclined to suppose that just because you're on OS X
you're safe.  Some always gets to go first, and the sort of "everything
crashes" situation Larry's reporting is consistent with library damage
from malware.  (Or hardware issues, or file system corruption, or...)

-- Graydon

Possible security hazards are found all the time, and fixed, most often in a timely fashion. A big Mac OS X update was released last week that fixed dozens of security issues uncovered by researchers. *However*, there aren't any known exploits out there that need concern any Mac users, and as far as I can recall there never have been any to date.

Anything can happen, but it's still true that one is far safer from security problems on the Mac OS than any Windows OS.

-bmw