From: "Daniel J. Matyola"
Thanks for looking and commenting, Frank.

New Jersey was the center of diner culture.  Every town had at least
one downtown, and there was one every few miles on most major
highways.  Some, like the Flemington Circle Diner, became tourist
attractions, with people driving from New York to sample the legendary
cheesecake.

Most are gone, and others (like Whitehouse and Branchburg) are
abandoned.  In the last decade or so, however, a number have be
rehabilitated and a few new ones -- like Loukas' -- have been built
new from scratch.

Got me thinking. There used to be a diner in downtown Raleigh, but I can't remember the name to save my life. We used to go down there on Wednesday nights for their $0.99 "Hamburger Steak w/onions & gravy" platter. Starving Student days.

It got torn down in the early 70s.

Funny thing is, whatever was built on the site was demolished and replaced some time in the early 90s, and THAT building has now been demolished so the city can build a parking garage at that location.

So much that was worthwhile in Raleigh was demolished to make way for junk.