From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Adam
Maas
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:12 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Ultra-wide zooms

You're clearly not up on the latest developments in lens design.

Comparing the best UW prime on the market (The Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Distagon T*
in ZK, ZE or ZF mounts) and the best UW zoom on the market, the Nikkor
14-24mm f2.8 G, the zoom has less elements (14 elements in 11 groups for the
Nikkor, 16 elements in 13 groups for the Zeiss), although the zoom makes
heavy use of exotic glass to achieve this (2 ED elements, 3 aspherical
elements, 1 nano-crystal coated element, the latter is unique to Nikon and
seriously reduces flare). The Zeiss 21 actually does outperform the Nikkor
at 21mm, but only by a small amount (and the zoom has superior flare
performance despite its massive front element) and the Zeiss outperforms
similar primes by a much larger margin than it does the zoom. Note that the
Zeiss 21 is one of the very few truly modern wide prime designs (a 2009
update of a design from 1994), aside from the Pentax DA's, the only other
new wide primes are the current set of 14's (Canon's 14LII, the Nikkor
14/2.8D which is the oldest at ~2001 and the brand new Samyang 14/2.8) and
Sigma's massive f1.8's (which are good, fast but not exceptional).

Simply put, modern molded aspherics, use of low-dispersion elements and
other radical tech like Nikon's Nano-crystal coating has functionally
removed the advantages of prime designs for wide-angle lenses unless you are
trying to make a lens faster than f2.8. The requirements of a retrofocus
design simply grow to a point where the requirements for a zoom are
irrelevant to anything except size.

Making a world class UW requires a very high element count, prime or zoom.
Modern digital cameras are simply too demanding for edge performance,
particularly high-MP FF cameras.

As to the DA 15/4 Limited, it's actually slightly inferior in performance to
the DA 14/2.8, and the latter is pretty much identical in performance to the
12-24/4 aside from the extra stop (and the DA 14 is the best performing 14
on APS-C).

-Adam

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM, J.C. O'Connell <hifis...@gate.net> wrote:
> ultra wide primes require many more elements
> than primes do and the results is more flare
> they will never match a prime because even
> primes need too many elements for high performance
> flare performance.
>
> what is being sold doesn’t prove anything other than
> market demand. Prime can outdo zooms especially on ultrawides.
>
> what about the 15mm DA lens??
>
> --
> J.C. O'Connell (mailto:hifis...@gate.net)
> Join the CD PLAYER & DISC Discussions :