On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> As a user and supporter of both operating systems, I can assure you
>>> that your suspicions are correct only if you similarly equate the
>>> driving and purchasing experience of a Yugo with a Mini Cooper.
>>> : )
>>>
>>> Darren Addy
>>> Kearney, NE
>>
>> More like the ownership experience of a Kia vs a Mini Cooper. One's
>> pretty and popular, the other's cheaper, faster, more reliable but not
>> so well layed out.
>>
> More reliable? That flies in the face of evidence and experience. Cheaper,
> yse. Faster, sometimes.

My experience is otherwise. Mac's are good machines, but not
best-in-class for reliability, middle of the pack is more like it.
Apple's reliability rep died with the PowerMac 4400. They only have a
reliability advantage over cheap white box or really low-end hardware.
Faster? yeah, PC's are pretty much always at a given spend level with
the sole exception of the Mac Pro which is competitive against the
other workstation-class machines in its price category. Apple is
completely lacking in anything resembling competitive performance per
dollar on the desktop for less than the base-model Mac Pro, they do
better on the Laptop side, but you still pay a premium for their
machines which is not reflected in the performance.

When I bought my latest laptop, I got a machine from HP almost
identical in spec the mid-range 15" MacBook Pro aside from clockspeed
(the clockspeed was noticably lower, 2.13GHz vs 2.53 which was
current, but I saved $1000 and got otherwise high-end specs), but it
came in at less than the base model MacBook in cost, and I got
features which the Macs lack (like a dedicated docking station) This
is pretty typical of the midrange market for Laptops.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca