On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Adam Maas <a...@mawz.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> More like the ownership experience of a Kia vs a Mini Cooper. One's
>>> pretty and popular, the other's cheaper, faster, more reliable but not
>>> so well layed out.
>>>
>> More reliable? That flies in the face of evidence and experience. Cheaper,
>> yse. Faster, sometimes.
>
> My experience is otherwise. Mac's are good machines, but not
> best-in-class for reliability, middle of the pack is more like it.
> Apple's reliability rep died with the PowerMac 4400. They only have a
> reliability advantage over cheap white box or really low-end hardware.
> Faster? yeah, PC's are pretty much always at a given spend level with
> the sole exception of the Mac Pro which is competitive against the
> other workstation-class machines in its price category. Apple is
> completely lacking in anything resembling competitive performance per
> dollar on the desktop for less than the base-model Mac Pro, they do
> better on the Laptop side, but you still pay a premium for their
> machines which is not reflected in the performance.
>
> When I bought my latest laptop, I got a machine from HP almost
> identical in spec the mid-range 15" MacBook Pro aside from clockspeed
> (the clockspeed was noticably lower, 2.13GHz vs 2.53 which was
> current, but I saved $1000 and got otherwise high-end specs), but it
> came in at less than the base model MacBook in cost, and I got
> features which the Macs lack (like a dedicated docking station) This
> is pretty typical of the midrange market for Laptops.
>
> --

As a note, I don't consider Macs to be bad values overall. They're
excellent values to the average user, given the actually useful
software preload, reasonably good specs and generally simple ownership
experience.

What they aren't is good values on price vs performance (with the
exception of the Mac Pro) or more reliable than comparable systems
from comparable vendors.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca