That is in fact exactly what I do, as it offers some protection from
anything that manages to get inside the network (a risk as I have two
machines that spend time on public networks, at school or elsewhere).

The trick is to be sure to have no more than a single firewall running
on any machine, preferably the Windows one (which is well documented
and relatively predictable, if not necessarily the most capable) and
be sure that no Norton/Symantec security software is anywhere near
your network.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas