On 5/23/2010 12:24 PM, Bob W wrote:
I don't believe in over-complicating things. Firewalls give me nothing but
grief at work, I don't need them doing it at home too. Although I suppose
I'd have even more grief at work if we switched them off...

I'm really pissed off that Dell included a firewall, switched on, in their
software when they must know perfectly well that Windows comes with a
firewall supplied.

Having 2 software firewalls on one box is a recipe for
grief. For non-IT users it's not an obvious thing to look for and would
cause them real trouble getting networking going.

I agree - it sets the customer up for a lot of frustration and relentless calls to tech support.
It's wasted several hours
of my time, and I'm an IT professional.

Bob

I'm a "belt and suspenders" person when it comes to
firewalls.  Why not use both the NAT on the router and the
Windows firewall and set up a firewall exception on the boxes
if they don't see each other?

-p