On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Robert Jordan <forbe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been reading the recent K-7 thread with great interest.
>
> I have a K20D.  From September 2009-March 2010 I took at least 10,000
> exposures at my son's hockey games, shooting from either a penalty box or
> behind the bench, using a DA 50-135 2.8, shooting with an aperature priority
> setting of 2.8 and ASA of either 800-1600 or 1600 only.  I shoot RAW.
>
> As a friend put it, the quality of my shots was roughly inversely
> proportional to the speed of the action.  The action shots were a little
> soft, or a little blurred as my shutter speeds were not quite fast enough.
> The light in these recreation rinks usually leaves a lot to be desired.  I
> think I need to be shooting at ASA 3200 or 6400.
>
> To add one more variable to the mix, I've purchased a Sigma 70-200 2.8 with
> next season in mind which probably means I need to add to be at least one
> f-stop faster just to stay where I am now.  I have a monopod and am planning
> to use it although I find it awkward.  Lastly, although I have become
> addicted to hockey photography I use the K20D for all family photography
> including soccer games as well.
>
> My questions are: should I consider selling my K20D and buying a K-x?  Can I
> shoot at 6400 with a K-x and get quality shots?   What would I lose by
> replacing the K20D with the K-x?
>
> I read a lot of discussion about a new, high end Pentax SLR being announced
> in September.  What is the likelihood of that happening?
>
> Thanks for your comments,
> Robert

The K-x delivers excellent results at ISO 6400, I don't even use NR
anymore unless I need to go to 12,800.

In general, the K-x is an upgrade over the K20D, but you do lose a few
things. The buffer is smaller (5 RAW, 17 JPEG at 4.7fps, double that
at 2fps), it's not weather-sealed, has only 1 control wheel and a
smaller and slightly dimmer viewfinder, you pretty much have to stick
to either a fixed centre AF point or auto-selection, and you're back
to using AA batteries.

You gain greatly increased high ISO performance, improved AF, a speed
boost to almost 5fps, some significant size/weight savings and a more
responsive camera (The K20D feels slow compared to the K-x or K-7 for
UI and control response).

That said, I'd wait right now and see if Pentax releases a updated K-7
for Photokina, as the K-7 is going to be a better choice than the K-x
for Hockey work aside from the high ISO performance and any update
will likely be simply an improved sensor in the same basic body.

-Adam