If you search back in the archives a few months ago, I was readying
myself to shoot an annual gymnastic meet for my third year.  Only
this year they were requiring me to shoot without flash.  My current
camera was a K20D.  I went to many of my daughter's basketball games
that were lit in a similar manner (bad) to see if I felt the K20D
could do the job.  No, it couldn't - a few shots here and there if
you really worked with them after, but practically speaking, it was a
no go.  So I started to investigate the K-x.  After info from current
users on the list, I decided to buy one and see how it would do.

What I can tell you is that I successfully shot the meet using the
K-x and a DA* 16-50 lens.  I ended up shooting about 9,5000 frames in
the single day even - almost all of it at ISO 6400 and jpg.  Mostly
used the Sport Program setting - this coming from a guy who mostly
shoots manual focus, manual exposure and RAW.

The K-x is a very usable camera for a great price.  The AF is a
little better than the K20D and the ISO 6400 is way better - actually
usable without having to work hard at it.  You are more than welcome
to peruse the shots to get a feel for it.  Jump more towards the
middle shots to see more action type things.
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/thumbpage.aspx?e=6389590
No need to login - just hit continue...

I have since used it for quite a few things and find it to be a much
better camera than we may want to admit - especially because of it's
price.  In fact, I usually pick it over the K20D for many things even
if they are not high ISO situations.

Long term I am hoping for a K7 type body with the sensor capabilities
of the K-x.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

Sunday, May 23, 2010, 1:38:55 PM, you wrote:

RJ> I have been reading the recent K-7 thread with great interest.

RJ> I have a K20D.  From September 2009-March 2010 I took at least
RJ> 10,000 exposures at my son's hockey games, shooting from either a
RJ> penalty box or behind the bench, using a DA 50-135 2.8, shooting
RJ> with an aperature priority setting of 2.8 and ASA of either
RJ> 800-1600 or 1600 only.  I shoot RAW.

RJ> As a friend put it, the quality of my shots was roughly inversely
RJ> proportional to the speed of the action.  The action shots were a
RJ> little soft, or a little blurred as my shutter speeds were not
RJ> quite fast enough.  The light in these recreation rinks usually
RJ> leaves a lot to be desired.  I think I need to be shooting at ASA 3200 or
6400.

RJ> To add one more variable to the mix, I've purchased a Sigma
RJ> 70-200 2.8 with next season in mind which probably means I need to
RJ> add to be at least one f-stop faster just to stay where I am now.
RJ> I have a monopod and am planning to use it although I find it
RJ> awkward.  Lastly, although I have become addicted to hockey
RJ> photography I use the K20D for all family photography including soccer
games as well.