On May 29, 2010, at 8:26 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

> On 30/05/2010, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
>> My inclination would be a bluetooth device that you could clip to the baby
>> seat, and a program that would run on your cell phone, or a dedicated
>> device) that would alert when the sensor got out of range.  Likewise, it
>> could alert if the temperature got too high, or too low.
>
> Anything like integrated protection would be useless in our market,
> kids up until seven need to be in some kind of add-on restraint. IMO
> there's just too much differential between the integrated car seats
> and the add-on seats to make anything but an add on device a practical
> solution.
>
> That said I'm sure more babies die falling off balconies attended or
> otherwise and many times that drown about the home regardless of the
> measures in place to counter such issues, the rest suffocate, get
> caught in fires, get shot (rarely in Oz) or are simply killed outright
> in road accidents (most probably not appropriately restrained).
>
> Interesting article but there are far more significant things that
> could be easily tackled to more significantly reduce infant/child
> deaths IMO.

That may well be true. But this problem is identifiable and fairly easily
solved. It's going to get a lot more press here  in the US, and regulation will
probably happen. I've never been a fan of mandated safety. Personally, I'm
going to remain on the fence about this one. But reporting on it is my job.

Paul