On 5/31/2010 1:13 PM, Bob W wrote:
yes, sure, but that's changing the terms of the discussion. So far the
discussion has been about whether the state has a right to force the
individual to something 'for his own good'. I say it doesn't.

It could be that you and I had a discussion on close but different sets of terms here. I see your point now.

I say that the State *may have* a right to force (or very strongly recommend) something to the individual if it prevents severe harm to individual's health or may be even their death.

Now, the classic starting point for liberalism is that you are free to
do whatever you want, provided you don't infringe the right of other
people to do the same. The state is an institution that we have
established to guarantee that principle. Therefore it does have to try
and protect me from other people's stupidity in as much as that
stupidity might prevent me from going about my lawful business. That's
why we enforce red traffic lights, and have gun laws and such like. At
the same time, it doesn't absolve me from the responsibility to look
after myself.

That I can agree with. Sans the attribution of this principle to liberalism. It is more "live and let live" kind of reasoning to me.

Children are also protected by the state but they are in a special
position because unlike normal adults they are not fully autonomous
members of society yet. They are under the stewardship of their parents
and their parents have the first responsibility for their well-being.
The parents have to make the minute-by-minute decisions about what is
best for the child, including whether or not it is safe to leave them in
the back of a car. Once you start leaving that sort of decision to other
people, particularly the state, you might just as well herd all the kids
into state-run boarding schools where they will, no doubt, be much safer...

Bob

By saying that parents have to make minute-by-minute decisions you actually assign quite a lot to the parents. Modern society goes very long way to make one's life easier, so to say. And here you are asking parents to make minute-by-minute decisions... I don't think it is too liberal, you know.

Boris