On May 30, 2010, at 2:28 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

>>> well frankly it doesn't deserve spending money on, unless individual car
>>> owners choose to spend their own money on it.
>>>
>>> It's the parents' responsibility to look after their own children, not the
>>> responsibility of other people. If parents can't look after their own
>>> children properly we already have methods for dealing with it.
>>>
>>> If you're worried about leaving your children in the back of the car, go
>>> ahead and buy a warning device but don't expect me to pay for it.
>>>

>> Of course your argument can be extended. You've already paid for the airbags
>> and seat bels in his car so that he'll be protected in case he hits
>> something. And you've paid for that buzzer that tells him his lights are on,
>> in case he forgets to shut them off. In fact, there are numerous devices in
>> cars, many of them mandated by regulation, that we all pay for. But in the
>> end we don't really pay in full. Implementation of new technology creates
>> jobs. Jobs generate revenue that goes back to the population.
>>

> That's the same arguement that if someone throws a brick through a shop
> window, it's a good thing.  After all think of all the money spent to repair
> the window.  But what would the money be spent on if the window didn't have
> to be replaced.  What if it were invested wouldn't that create jobs too?
> I'll answer for you.  Yes it would.  What if it were spent on cheep booze and
> cigarettes, wouldn't that also create jobs?  Well, yes it would.  This is the
> most foolish of reasons to do this.

I didn't say that the fact that much of the cost goes back into the economy is
a reason to do this. I just pointed out, correctly, that the cost per device
times the number of cars isn't the true cost to society. And I'm not
necessarily in favor of regulation. Never have been. But I'm in favor of truth
and accuracy.
Paul