The in-carseat sensor, as opposed to a mfr-installed device seems the
most appropriate solution, if one is even required. That way only the
persons with the children of concern pay for the device.

The problem with this whole idea of protecting people (I'm sure this
has been said here, haven't read every post) is... OK fine, protect
baby from consequences of parent's actions. What about after the child
is removed from the car?

1. Might parent lay baby down, and baby roll of changing table? That
could result in severe head trauma resulting in paralysis, loss of
hearing, vision, or death.
2. Might parent let go of toddler's hand? Child could get lost,
abducted, or runover after wandering into street.
3. Might parent allow child to stand in shopping cart? See item 1.
4. Might parent give toy made in China to child?  Poor Johnny may
choke to death or get lead poisoning.
5. Might parent leave toxic chemicals in the house where poor Suzy
might drink it? Poor Suzy, she doesn't have lips anymore.

Neither parents or children can be protected from the consequences of
their actions, or the actions of others, 100% of the time, probably
not 1% of the time.

I sort of agree with helmet laws, but then again I ski and do not wear
a helmet, even though I realize it could provide an extra degree of
protection (I just don't plan on pulling a Sonny Bono). So I
understand the view and reasoning of those who do not wish to wear
one.

Tom C.