On 5/31/2010 4:21 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:
On 5/30/2010 11:54 PM, paul stenquist wrote:
I didn't say that the fact that much of the cost goes back into the
economy is a reason to do this. I just pointed out, correctly, that
the cost per device times the number of cars isn't the true cost to
society. And I'm not necessarily in favor of regulation. Never have
been. But I'm in favor of truth and accuracy. Paul

I might as well go a step further and maintain that none of us can actually produce a accurate and truthful assessment of financial/economic aspect of this issue, unless we have some professional economist among us. I for one, wouldn't dare say that mere multiplication of number of cars however approximate it be by the cost of this device is an accurate figure.

Boris

As someone who was trained to be an economist, I can tell you few of them are even capable of making objective assessments, and even fewer who can make those assessments do.

Lets look at the utility of this device.

According to Ask.com 230 children have died from being left in cars in the US since 1998. Assuming for the sake of argument well take the average number for a year. That works out to 23 children per year.

The population of the US was in July of 2009 estimated to be 307,006,550, (which is too damned accurate for an estamate in my estimation).

Simple mathematics, (and I take no responsibility for absolute accuracy on this I could be off by an order of magnitude), gives a result of .0024 deaths of this kind per hundred thousand of population. Now lets just think about that for a moment. Even if I'm off by an order of magnitude on the low side, the odds of this happening are vanishingly small, but since it happens finite, demonstrably so.

Now lets assume that each family of four owns one car. (Very simplistic I know, but that's really how economists work, If I were really doing a study I'd refine this considerably, but in the end my numbers wouldn't be any more or less meaningful). That gives a rough estimate of 76751637.5 cars, (I wonder who gets the half car, with my luck probably me). I'll dispense with how many cars per hundred thousand of population, and leave that as exercise for those who actually give a rats a**.

Now I'm going to put my engineers hat on for a moment, (software, but still, I have held that title), and talk about costs. I figure the device in question could be put together for about $10~$15 of off the shelf parts, (engineers are always pulling numbers out of their a**), but it will cost an order of magnitude more once assembled and installed in a car, lets split the difference and call it $125.00, (now I'll don my retailers hat and pull a few more numbers), but the final consumer will pay an order of magnitude more... OK maybe not the full $1250, maybe only half that. So lets say $600. (Yes, economists really do work this way).

Now we have some "hard" numbers. this gives us a total cost of $46,050,982,500. to society. The side benefits are beside the point. Spending that kind of money will help the economy no matter how it's spent, (I would do the math but it requires complex derivatives, and really most economists don't understand it either). The actual stated benefit would be to a very small percentage of the population.

We must remember that all cars won't have this "feature" now, in fact as the average car lasts about 10 years all cars won't have this feature for 10 years, and given that most devices that don't directly benefit the driver fall by the wayside after warranted service expires a lot that have it built in won't either.

For this we might save and I stress might save the lives of 26 children a year. I say the money is better spent on cigarettes and booze.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}