On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 06:32:23PM +0200, eckinator wrote:
> 2010/5/31 William Robb <war...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I find it galling enough that as a non parent my tax dollars are being spent
> > on subsidized day care or school taxes.
>
> Pondering whether to take a deep breath and shut my trap or let you
> have a piece of my mind here...

Well, I'm a non-parent, too, and my takes are being spent on a whole
lot of things I don't like.  But I view the two examples quoted as a
case where there is some long-term benefit to me.

Subsidised day care is good - it lets people get back to work (doing
jobs that I personally wouldn't want to do myself) without it being
bad for their children.  I don't see why day care should be a benefit
only available to people who work at Google, say.
School taxes is an even easier issue.  Education is an investment
that yields a pretty high return.  A kid who successfully completes
the journey through scholl (and state college) is less likely to
end up breaking into my house and stealing my cameras. I'd rather
pay $1 to educate them than $5 to arrest them and stick them in
prison. School taxes are justifiable from a purely selfish viewpoint.