On 5/31/2010 5:31 PM, William Robb wrote:
Even if I don't have children, there is a good chance that I may well be
carrying rear seat passengers (not in my truck though) at some point.
IIRC, it's been pretty well documented that airbags can cause very young
children significant injury, /which I believe is why car seats should go
into the vehicle facing backwards rather than forwards if there is an
airbag present on the seat/.

Wrong. What you say however is actually the reason why cars are equipped with the switch that can switch off the front passenger seat air bag. In Israel, if I am not mistaken it is forbidden to put a child seat on a (front) seat of a car if you cannot switch off the regular air bag. I am not talking here about side air bags or knee air bags or whatever fancy air bags you car may or may not have.

Again, you would do better to insist that it be an option on car seats,
not cars. As soon as it is an option on cars, it sill become a standard
feature at an extra cost to everyone, whether you need it or not.

Right, but come think of it. It is likely going to be needing some juice. I am unaware as of yet of common child seats that can be plugged in. So either it will require yet another car modification (and it could be that wiring each car seat with some kind of outlet is really going to be pretty expensive and complex) or you will have to run all kinds of wires in the cabin yourself - not too good either.

But you have a point, Bill, and I think Bob W made similar point - make it an option and make it an option of the car seat. I can agree with that, but I am thinking we are discussing the issue of somewhat more general scale here - do we encourage (legislate, do so by voting with our credit cards, publicly promote, whatever) such devices or do we simply shrug the issue off.

Boris