On May 31, 2010, at 09:29 , Scott Loveless wrote:

On 5/30/10, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

chuckle.
http://photomusings.wordpress.com/2010/05/29/more-adobe-nightmares/

and they say Dante was inventive in his description of Hell.

I was miffed the other day when Adobe decided that, because I had the
audacity to surf to their site with Firefox, I had to install a Reader
Installer plug-in before I could install Reader.  But the 17 disk
swaps kinda takes the cake.

Too bad you kids weren't around when installing PageMaker took 6 800k floppies, and swapping was so much fun, EVEN on a clean install. Oh yeah, you had to have many of the OS install disks handy because Apple wouldn't let Adobe have the needed OS segments on the Adobe install disk set.

The bottom line on this subject is: Neither Microsoft, nor Apple, nor Adobe, could advance the technology of their software if they had to be held back by the other's older software.

Snow Leopard is a complete rewrite, and an attempt to get away from having to "simulate" the older OS's code and calls. Developers had 1.5 years to get on board the upgrade wagon. I know, from a developers point of view, it's a pain to be chasing the alphas and betas and the changes that would be made as time passed, but if you were the folks with a ready product or upgrade at the new OS release, you owned the market.

Adobe thinks they already own the market, and continue to produce bloatware based on a 15 year old model.

Since Aperture 3 came out, I've not had to go to PS for anything yet. If I wanted text in my images, I would. Not that I haven't had a few problems adapting to Aperture 3. I have.

But how could any of these companies stay in business if they didn't FORCE you to spend money to upgrade their software to run nice with the other's software? Remember that business model that struck us between the eyes in the early 80s? Before that jumped up, consumers were accustomed to buying a product and using it until it wore out! the personal computer industry adapted the grocery store model. Buy it, consume it, come back for more, if you try to store it for too long it will get rotten and make you sick!

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“ Nature is considerably more creative and inventive than humankind. Without Nature there isn't any humankind. Without humankind, Nature is fine.”