On Aug 28, 2010, at 8:13 AM, Christine Aguila wrote:

> I'm going to plung into this project for the next year. I want to photograph
> people under the el tracks downtown.
>
> I would like to know how folks might meter for this project.

I might put the camera on spot metering and use that to set the exposure on the
subject that I want to shoot, but I'd probably put the camera in manual, press
the green button, chimp and adjust. At first, it'll take a long time, but
pretty soon you'll look at it and say "cloudy day, subject is under the tracks,
background is in shade...", and know what setting to use.

John's suggestions seem spot on. The alternative is to shoot anytime that there
isn't direct sunlight, or to find spots where your background is in shadows.
I'd look for spots where the lighting works the best, or the least bad.  This
may well mean shooting on a monopod late in the afternoon.