On 9/1/2010 5:53 PM, Steven Desjardins wrote:
I freely admit that I don't think I am really understanding the
implications of ISO 12,800.   It's like a person being 20 ft. tall.
My mind has trouble associating that number with that property.  I
noticed that one high end Nikon had a max sensitivity of 102,400.
That's like trying to grasp an f0.1 aperture.  It makes mathematical
sense in terms of EVs but I never thought I would see such a thing.

Steve, if camera has highest ISO of 3200, it usually means that it is unusable, but ISO 800 is pretty ok. So, if highest ISO is 12,800 (or even 102,400) it probably means that ISO 3200 (or 32,000) is usable. It is like fuel consumption figures of cars of battery longevity of cell phones. It is all lies, but it is still (co)rel(l)ated to the real world in a manner of speaking...

Boris