> > This is the one I tried - it was made in 1935 according to the serial
> > number:
> > <  http://www.theclassiccamera.com/product_details_2560.htm>
> >
> > Here's one of the sample pictures I took. This is the whole frame:
> > <  http://www.web-options.com/Elmar-1f.jpg>
> >
> > Here's a crop from the same sample shot:
> > <  http://www.web-options.com/Elmar-1.jpg>
> >
> > That's a 75-year-old lens on a 4-ish-year-old digital body. Very
> > tempting. I know of 3 others of this type that are available at the
> > moment, so I'm going to have a look at them during the week.
> >
> > Bob
> >

> Hi Bob
>
> Acquired Paul Wolff's Leica book a few months back. Seems the Elmar was
> one of his favourite lenses. Incorrigible Nazi, but the book has some
superb
> street work.

Oh, well that's alright then. As long as he's a Leica fan... :o)

> Not a 35, but have you thought about a Voigtlander 28/3.5? Just as teeny.
> Discontinued, but you are more likely to get a 2nd hand one in good
> condition than the Elmars.
>
> http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm#28/3.5

Thanks - I wasn't particularly aware of it; that 35/2.5 PII looks nice too.
I do have a Voigtlander 28/2 Ultron in M mount for the Leica - the one just
below the 28/3.5 on that page. Great lens. I would certainly consider the
slower one for its tiny dimensions, but it doesn't look much smaller than
the original Leica 35/1.4 which I have, and which is comparatively large
when seen against the Elmar.

A 35mm lens on the M8 gives the fov of a 50mm on an M3 etc., and it's that
that I would like to retain, at least for now.

The big disadvantage of the Elmar on the M8 is that you can't get an IR cut
filter for it, so it's pretty much useless indoors. However, my reason for
thinking about it is to use it outdoors at lunchtime, so that doesn't much
bother me.

The Elmar on the M8 is also very peculiar-looking and I don't think anyone
other than an aficionado would take it seriously as a camera if they saw me
pointing it at them. An aficionado, of course, would be pleased.

I've also just noticed the new Heliar 75/1.8 in M mount. I wish I hadn't.

Bob