On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> Good story! I may buy one of the pre-war bodies some day, to share the
> experience that people like HCB had. Chatting to the chap in the Leica
> dispensary he said that was one of the main reasons non-collectors buy this
> stuff.  Or because, like James Ravilious, they favour the particular look
> that the lenses had in those days.

It was an amazing moment. My father had a IIIf that was considered
sacred. Now I had my own Leica! Beat up, old, whatever, they worked
well and took great photos. Most of those photos are long lost now,
like a lot of the film I had in those days, but the cameras are a fond
memory.

What was nice about these old things was that they were simple, little
to distract you from the basics. I used them much the way I still
shoot today.

> that's right - Pied Bull Yard. Bloomsbury Square is through the yard behind
> where I was standing; the museum is about 100 yards away.

Great place. Is the camera shop that specialized in antiques and
collectibles still there?

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com