On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> I've been looking into ways of stuffing my Leica safely into my saddlebag
> for the daily commute so I can use the camera at lunchtimes around the
> fascinating area where I'm working. While talking to someone in the local
> Leica pushers yesterday I had the idea of using the minute screwmount 35/3.5
> Elmar, which lies almost flush against the camera body.
>
> This is the one I tried - it was made in 1935 according to the serial
> number:
> < http://www.theclassiccamera.com/product_details_2560.htm>
>
> Here's one of the sample pictures I took. This is the whole frame:
> < http://www.web-options.com/Elmar-1f.jpg>
>
> Here's a crop from the same sample shot:
> < http://www.web-options.com/Elmar-1.jpg>
>
> That's a 75-year-old lens on a 4-ish-year-old digital body. Very tempting. I
> know of 3 others of this type that are available at the moment, so I'm going
> to have a look at them during the week.

In 1969, ogling the stuff at Olden Camera in Manhattan for the
thousandth time, the salesman finally got tired of me visiting there
and not buying anything.

SM: "You gonna buy sometin or what?"
ME: "I don't have much money."
SM: "How much you got?"
ME: "A hundred dollars."

He pulled out of a drawer a Leica IIc and a Leica IIf, one fitted with
an Elmar 3.5cm and the other an Elmar 5.0cm. "You get 'em both for $99
and have a buck for a pretzel left over. Nobody wants this old junk
anymore."

I bought them. The Elmar 3.5cm was that lens. A great lens. Loved
those cameras. Used them until 1985, when the IIc was lost (the IIf
had been lost in 1978) but that's another story...

I see you're in the shopping courtyard across the way from the British
Museum in that photo. I bought my Rollei 35S Classic Platinum at the
Leica store there in 1996.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com