On Sep 27, 2010, at 10:51 PM, Paul Ewins wrote:

> Since upgrading to a K7 my *ist-D has been sitting in the cupboard doing
> nothing. My GF has a K10D, so I don't need the *ist-D as a backup and had
> wondered about having it converted for IR shooting. Would anyone care to
> comment about their own experiences with conversions and possibly offer a
> suggestion on where to get it done? I live in Australia, so it at least needs
> to be somewhere that is willing to take on international customers.
>
> I'm also aware that there are various types of conversions, i.e. tuned to
> different wavelengths, so if you'd like to comment on the pros and cons of
> those as well feel free to do so.

It's something that I've been thinking of myself. I've experimented with IR and
using IR filters over my flash so I can use a flash in a dark room and not
blind the dancers.  At SFLX I met someone who was shooting with a Fuji IS-1.  I
just got an email back from him last night

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/is/finepix_is1/index.html
Here are a few of the shots he did with it outside.
http://rabscuttle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=irscene1008
There are a few ir shots from last year in Sacramento.
http://rabscuttle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=saclx09ir
There are some in this years mix as well.
Nothing too exciting from this event, but a few amusing shots.
http://rabscuttle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=20100919sflx

I've got a lumix FZ20 that has been converted, but I think he just added a
filter, rather than taking the old IR blocking filter off, because using the
sunny 16 rule it seems to be about ISO 8.

Shots that I got with it are posted here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/collections/72157606110993706/

Using IR flash and overpowering the weak IR filter on my K100 gave me these
shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/collections/72157603983302091/

The Fuji isn't much more expensive than having a conversion done, and doing it
with a point and shoot has the advantage that it will focus with the light that
is hitting the sensor. If you focus optically with visible light, you then have
to correct for the proper IR focus point.

One interesting feature of IR, is that portraits taken in IR tend not to show a
lot of the skin blemishes that people have, so some women really like the
effect.