2010/10/2 paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>:

> What's DC?

Direct Current AF motor. There was a mail here some time ago linking
to the patent document. Simple, robust looking design.

> Have you had trouble with an SDM lens, Ecke? I know Robb and Celio did. Has
> anyone else on the list had a failure? I'm genuinely curious.

yes I have. my DA*16-50 was both repaired and replaced under warranty
following two SDM motor failures. my current copy was acting up once
very briefly in sub zero temperatures but has been peaceful otherwise.
I hope it stays that way.

as to the "less use" theory expressed by some people, I was an
accessory to that, it was my gut feeling also and I also read it from
other people. nothing to substantiate that feeling. someone said the
grease might go sticky. I passed it on in here with a pinch of salt or
two. there was also a belief expressed by some that the problem was
limited to the SDM+screw lenses but I have no knowledge of how likely
that idea is to be accurate or applicable. I doubt it somewhat. I've
had a Canon body's mirror brake (for lack of a better word) go sticky
from lack of use though, apparently a common issue known as "Canon
Asthma" in these parts