Wow!  This thread really took off while I wasn't looking.

In any event, it has been an extremely informative one. I wish I had time to reply to each person who responded, but I do thank you all for the many thoughtful answers. This has been a very educational thread for me -- lots of food for thought.

I do have to say I've made one good decision since I started pursuing digital photography, and that was installing Picasa. I've seen where some have lamented its tendency to keep archives of original images, thus chewing up storage space on your hard drive. But, having spent the past few days going through those original images, I can't help but thank my lucky stars for that, given what I did to some of those images back when I had even less a clue than I do right now when it comes to editing and processing. I've really had a lot of fun with some of the images I didn't even bother with when I first started out because I found them overwhelming after a few hamfisted attempts.

So, at least in a few instances, it's proven to be a bit of a boon to have the decision whether to keep a shot or delete it taken out of my hands. And, I suspect as I learn more about processing and editing as I go along, I'll develop a more discerning eye for what's treasure and what's trash.

Thanks again, everyone.  This has practically been a workshop.

Best,

Walt