An excellent example, Mark!

I attended college in San Francisco, and had some very respected luminaries as teachers in the craft of photography.

I was told, and remember this was in the days of film, to not expect more than one or two good shots per roll of 35 mm.

Do not expect to get more than one or two really exceptional shots a year.

If you work on several themes, it may take you 5 years to put together a show from one collection. Or maybe a lifetime.

We were also told to catalog and file in strips of six every roll of film and keep them in archival storage in case we remained following our path in photography for the rest of our lives. Then nearing death, will them to some foundation and let them worry about what's good. You won't know if they threw some or all of them out after you're gone.

Transparencies were different. Protect the true keepers. Store the also-rans so you can go through them again from time to time as you may see something with fresh eyes, or of historical significance, that can be used. Every ten years or so have some other photographer who is not close to you go through them and set those they consider worthy aside. Trash the rest if you want to. But heck, I still have an empty 100 sheet 4x5 Plus-X film box full of Ektachrome film ends I've kept for the great colors and swirls they contained. Clamp marks included!

Compare this to digital work we are doing today. Throw out ones with no discernable image. Set aside those that seem pretty good to you in a folder on your hard disk using some kind of filing system, be it image type, month, or themes. Put the rest in a folder by the month or year. You may want to go back and look again at some later time. Work with the ones you think have merit that you culled into the pretty good folder. Set the ones that come out really well into a folder of their own to be printed, or booked, or displayed online.

The volume of images is ten/twenty/a hundred fold compared to the film days. I use Aperture, which allows me to "throw out" images that will just get in the way. They are still there, both as originals on my drives and as working referenced images within Aperture. But I have to make a small effort to see them ever again. They don't get in the way. Lightroom, iPhoto, and other "workflow" designed programs all do the same.

Here on PDML, we love to see all the work that we've set aside in the "pretty good" folder. Our critiques and comments will help to make you photography better. Because of the volume of images we all take, expect to get more keepers, but work harder to find the best ones in the chaff. Don't want to overwhelm the members. <grin>