From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Eric
Weir
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2010 10:56 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Novice again

On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> In general, personally I would recommend against manual focus lenses,
> especially telephoto ones. My eyesight makes it difficult to focus
> precisely even with the help of Katz Eye (split prism, etc) focusing
> screen. Given that 70-210 (if it is A 70-210/4.0 we're talking about)
> has almost the same speed as M 135/3.5, I see no reason to bother.
> Also A 70-210/4.0 has KA mount so that you don't have to revert to
> green button stop down metering, which is a good thing, because this
> kind of metering is not always reliable. M 135/3.5 is smaller/lighter
> than the zoom lens and it will be ultimately your call to make. I used
> to have F 70-210/4-5.6 which has somewhat legendary reputation among
> Pentax lenses, and it was excellent indeed, even wide open. However,
> eventually I had noticed that I am not using it and thus it got sold.
> I don't regret it so far, after at least 2 years of having FA 77 as my
> longest lens in use. Naturally, your style may be different than mine.

Thanks again, Boris. Yes, the 70/210 is an A. It's up for grabs what I'll
take at this point. I'll be taking two lenses, that much has changed since I
asked for advice. For the rest I have some idea and some bases for choosing,
which I did not have before.

As for style, I guess that's why I've got all these questions: I don't have
one yet. Best I can say is that in this as in all things I'm biased toward
understanding how things work, keeping it as simple as possible, and relying
on machines only insofar as it's consistent with that.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net