I think it will last longer than five years.  I still have a
functional *istD on the shelf behind me.  At some point it would not
surprise me if Pentax bodies stopped supporting screwdrive, which
means you would be forced to MF.  Of course, there are complaints
about the aperture simulator being gone but I learned to shoot on an
SP500 so I had to turn a meter switch on and adjust the controls.  No
different with a K or M lens on the K7.  For an AF lens to stop AFing
would be a more serious loss of functionality.  Still, I bet the
bodies will continue to support it for at least 5-10 years and then
you could still use them in AF mode for the lifetime of those bodies.
By that time, maybe someone will make a screwdrive adapter.

--
Steve Desjardins