Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

>Paul "the heretic" Stenquist wrote:
>
>>That's probably the result of sloppy conversions. I don't employ filters, but
>>>I convert using the ACR BW function, which allows you to control the gray
>>>level of each color independently. It's actually superior to BW film in many
>>>ways. I believe Lightroom offers similar conversion features.
>>Paul
>
>Anyone here have a good background in b&w printing?
>Have you found a digital technique that can equal split printing?
>I haven't yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
>Split printing involves altering the times for separate
>high contrast and low contrast filter settings.
>That way I can burn in low contrast textures for n(1) time
>while doing high contrast for n(2) time for other purposes.
>This allows me to emphasize the details of texture while not
>over-exposing the print.
>My personal favorite technique.

You can't do that in raw conversion but you can do it in Photoshop
with layer masks. You can even do two different raw conversions, one
with high contrast and one with low contrast, and combine them.

BTW: In theory, because of metamerism it's impossible for
post-processing of digital captures to emulate all the effects
possible with colored filters and B&W film. Once you've split the
broad-spectrum light into three grayscale channels some information is
lost that can never be recovered. In theory. I've never had any
trouble getting the effect I wanted in digital post-processing,
though.  (But, come to think of it, Larry Colen's example might be a
case of this happening...)