On Nov 18, 2010, at 2:57 PM, Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

> Paul "the heretic" Stenquist wrote:
>
>> That's probably the result of sloppy conversions. I don't employ filters,
>> but >I convert using the ACR BW function, which allows you to control the
>> gray >level of each color independently. It's actually superior to BW film
>> in many >ways. I believe Lightroom offers similar conversion features.
>> Paul
>
> Anyone here have a good background in b&w printing?
> Have you found a digital technique that can equal split printing?
> I haven't yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
> Split printing involves altering the times for separate
> high contrast and low contrast filter settings.
> That way I can burn in low contrast textures for n(1) time
> while doing high contrast for n(2) time for other purposes.
> This allows me to emphasize the details of texture while not
> over-exposing the print.
> My personal favorite technique.

Paul "the heretic" Stenquist printed BW in the darkroom for thirty years. And
yes, I've done split printing with different contrast filters. I've also used a
wide variety of papers and chemicals, along with contrast control development
of the film. No darkroom techniques can match the results achievable with
digital BW. In digital processing, each tone can be rendered individually,
allowing infinite adjustment of grays.
Paul