No, when doing B&W conversion from colour I handle the filtration in
post (Note I've been known to do this with both colour film and
digital. Provia 100F in particular makes just lovely B&W images).

B&W images online tend to be overly contrasty as that grabs attention
(and I say that as someone who tends to like a lot of contrast in his
B&W). You can do very nice B&W conversions with subtle tones but that
sort of image really needs to be printed to look good, especially on
consumer-grade monitors.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas