Collin Brendemuehl <coll...@brendemuehl.net> wrote:

> When I look at the work on Pentax photo gallery, the B&w efforts
> seem to share a common fault:  3 tones -- near-black, near-white, zone 6.
> There just is not the tonal variance.

I don't see less tonality in my digital B/W. I usually shoot in colour
and then do the conversion either in Photoshop (via Lab  minus a and b)
or more recently in Lightroom, because it's easier to control the grey
value of the various colours.

http://www.fotoralf.de/fotos/pages/0024.html
http://www.fotoralf.de/fotos/pages/0020.html
http://www.fotoralf.de/fotos/pages/0063.html
http://www.fotoralf.de/fotos/pages/0196.html
http://www.fotoralf.de/fotos/pages/0087.html

Ooops, sorry, the last one was IR.  ;-)

No filters employed in shooting, with the obvious exception of the IR
filter.

Recommended reading: Advanced Digital Black & White Photography, John
Beardsworth, Lark Books

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog   : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com