On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Jeffery Smith <jsmith...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I'll be the first to admit that the digital color stuff still gives me a hard
> time. I'm not resistant when it comes to modern digital technology (and
> converted from the typewriter to the word processor very quickly), but all of
> the parameters in digital photography can be a bit overwhelming after decades
> in the analog world. I've been leaning toward shooting digital as though it
> were color slide film, and that's why the -1 exposure comp. The lighting
> conditions were a bit extreme (shade with some blown out sunlit areas, and
> theater, with some blown out highlights on the actor's face).

I figured that might be the case. Theater work is often a mostly dark
scene with spot lit actor/actress faces; clear contrasty sunlight is
always a pain. You are on the right track considering exposure as
color slide film. :-)

> I'll try to get my lingo right. ;-)  Old habits die hard. I also still think
> of my Pentax lenses as "x mm equivalent", which I need to stop doing. A 25
> 1.4 isn't all that much like a 50 1.4, even if it is on an Olympus E-1. The
> field depth is astronomical.

Um, the field of view is about the same as a 50mm on 35mm Film, the
speed is the same, but the DoF is two stops greater ... f/1.4 behaves
like f/2.8. The difference isn't *that* big, really, but it is
significant as you move farther away.

I've gotten quite comfortable with it now, but then I always did like
smaller formats with lots of DoF to work with at wide apertures.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com