On Dec 22, 2010, at 3:56 AM, Joseph McAllister wrote:

> What you are seeing is vestigial New York Photo/Video mail-order attitudes.
> Thirty five years ago, you had to be very careful ordering from NY Photo
> stores, even B&H. Since then, following B&H's lead in a change in practices,
> most have straightened out about 95%. I have frightening memories of
> conversations with  the phone sales reps from Beach, Adorama, and Abes of
> Maine, who, if you had a disagreement with the difference between what they
> were offering and what was standard in the industry, would reiterate their
> company line, then hang up on you. It sometimes took a few days and several
> salesperson hours before you would go through with the sale, after they
> allowed as to how you really had seen through their bullshit and let common
> sense complete the sale.
>
> One of their ploys was to pull items out of a factory packed kit camera. When
> you complained that it was missing, they told you it wasn't part of what they
> sold you,. The price to buy it separately ended up costing you more than the
> same complete kit at any of the other stores.
>
> Phone shopping was a joy in the 60s and 70s!

Thanks, Joseph. My standard has been LL Bean. And since joining PDML I must say
I've had very good experiences with sellers on eBay, for which I imagine eBay
itself deserves some credit. What seems to be Adorama's practice, and not an
error, as I assumed when I first wrote to customer service, has come as a bit
of a shock. Since I'm mainly a used equipment buyer, sure glad KEH isn't that
way.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net