It's pretty difficult to predict where technology is
going to go, and what form it will take. I often think
about a film that was made for the 1939 World's Fair,
showing what life would be like in the future:
(drum roll) Nineteen Sixty! Basically 1939 Fords
that could fly.

  A few years ago I had a very young editorial assistant
who was interested in computers. One afternoon we were
bs-ing and I told her about ENIAC, how it occupied
several buildings (including a monstrous air conditioner),
and how it had less computing power than a $19.95 pocket
calculator one could buy at the corner drugstore.
  "The really amazing thing," I said, "was that ENIAC
used vacuum tubes."
  (blank look)
  "You know, tubes, like in the back of old radios."
  (blank look)

  Maybe she was old enough to remember discrete transistors,
but somehow I doubt it. That was a *serious* dinosaur moment
for me.

I've since given up prognostication.
It's a dangerous pastime...  ;-)

Stephen