Well, living in hockey central i have shot a few games if not 1 more
than few for sure.

I never used my Pentax gear, no fast long lenses at the time, but i
used my Nikon D2H and 70-200f2.8 VR or a few were done with the D200.
I set ISO at 1250, shutter at 1/125 to 1/250 if possible, and the
aperture was usually around 2.8 or 3.2 Most werre panned so there is a
small amount of motion blur but that can help.
I tried to be at +- 65 degrees or so from the net, a lot of puck
action and not as much movement to worry about.
Try and pick a player and follw him/her around in the finder.
Some rinks have media holes in the glass, if they do grab one.

I used AWB in raw mode.

Hope that helps.

Here are three from my last shoot.:

Dave Brooks