Those Amazon reviews from Ann's link are pretty darn revealing.
I don't think I've ever seen that high a percentage of reviews giving
something 1 star.
"An Astonishing Experience: Three Drives Purchased - Three Drives
Failed" is just one review.

Very sorry, Ann.
Seagate offers troubleshooting advice here:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/troubleshooting_assistance

Seagate has had problems before with a product and offered free data
recovery: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16246
It is possible that they may offer something similar for this product,
particularly with the disasterous record this one seems to have.
You might also register for the Seagate forums. They have one devoted
to the FreeAgent:
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Products/bd-p/freeagent

Squeaky hinge gets the oil and all that... Good Luck!