On 23 January 2011 15:04, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> the device is a Seagate free agent  500 gig drive I got as a present in
> 2007.  All my photos from the last two years are on there
> The C drive was getting crowded most everything I need is on the external
> drive.
>
> I sthis going to cost me a fortune to save it?  is it possible there is just
> a driver I need to reload?
>
> Hugs along with info would be much appreciated

Hi Ann,

So sorry to hear of your plight, I'll save the rap for later.

Seriously don't screw with it, it could be the hard drive enclosure
but it's most likely the drive within the enclosure its self. The box
contains a regular hard drive and support electronics to make it USB
compatible. I would get it to a friend who knows what they are doing
if possible, if not get recommendations of competent computer guys
from your friends and beg for assistance.

Discounting the enclosure electronics there are two basic modes of
failure in a drive, electronic or mechanical. Dependent on where the
electronic failure is it might be relatively easy to remedy, if it's a
mechanical failure however it would probably cost a great deal to
retrieve the data. You really do need to get it to someone competent
to assess the problem though, at this point we are all just
speculating as the the root cause of the problem.

Cheers,

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours