Did you use the same USB cable on the 80 gig? If not, try a different USB cable on the 500.

Is it getting power?  Could be a bad power supply.

Do you know anyone who runs Linux? Take the drive to them and see if a Linux box will recognize it. If it will, you should be able to use the Linux box to transfer the files to a new drive. Make sure the new drive is formatted to NTFS.

If all else fails you can try transferring the drive to a new enclosure as Paul suggested. I've had the enclosures go bad and produce error messages with a perfectly good drive inside.

-p