On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Maybe it comes down to a definitiion of planning  - I kinda interpreted
> Larry's original question as grab-shot versus pre-visulation.
> But I sure don't agree that planning is at all necessary, other than being
> prepared with equipment , for the "best" photography to
> happen... since most of my favorite photographers are those who capture the
> decisive moment of something happening a second before
> they click the shutter - Bresson, Erwitt, Friedlander, Robert Frank. And the
> newly discovered Vivian Maier would certainly be someone
> who shot in that vein and captured wonderful images - more interesting to me
> than any sort of photo shot in a studio, no matter how
> well crafted they may be.

I interpreted Larry's question in the same vein. I rarely if ever do
"studio setup" photographs ... But I do have a plan, a framework in my
head, for what I'm looking for when I go out the door. And then modify
it to suit as I see what's out there and what my shooting mood
actually is. As I'm sure HCB, Erwitt, and Frank did too.

On the occasions when I am carrying more gear ... tripod, more lenses,
etc ... the ideas are firmer, I'm looking to do a particular kind of
photography. Still have to deal with "what I find" at the time of
doing it, however.

About the only times I'm doing the studio setup type of thing is when
I'm testing stuff or doing table-top, product shot work. In those
situations, the photographic exercise isn't about art and concept ..
It's a more forensic, documentation kind of effort.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com