To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: finding pictures or making pictures?

Christine Aguila wrote:

It depends what I'm shooting. Photowalks are seldom planned. I just pick spot, wander around, see what I can find. Travel is probably 50/50. ...

So, it depends what I'm shooting. Different strategies for different shooting situations.

In the end though, I would say that the best photography comes out of good planning AND an eye for the unexpected.

Cheers, Chrisitne

Maybe it comes down to a definitiion of planning - I kinda interpreted Larry's original question as grab-shot versus
pre-visulation.

My planning would be making sure I have a kit likely to be the best for where I'm headed and how Id get there. Make sure I have battery charger, extra CF cards, extra batteries, note pad, etc... I do think about enhancing a theme I've found in my photos from previous shoots... and right now I'm into street shots and zoo shots. But I virtually never think about a specific shot ahead of time (Mark will cite an exception to this) I"d like to get a photo of the moon coming up under the arch of a bridge ... e.g. but I know I wont do it.

But I sure don't agree that planning is at all necessary, other than being prepared with equipment , for the "best" photography to happen... since most of my favorite photographers are those who capture the decisive moment of something happening a second before they click the shutter - Bresson, Erwitt, Friedlander, Robert Frank. And the newly discovered Vivian Maier would certainly be someone who shot in that vein and captured wonderful images - more interesting to me than any sort of photo shot in a studio, no matter how
well crafted they may be.

2 cents from ann