On Feb 2, 2011, at 15:41 , Walter Gilbert wrote:

> Oops!  I botched some cut n' pasting when I was editing the original message
> for clarity -- as is typical.
>
> Mine actually says:
>
> 1093350     ASAHI OPT. CO., JAPAN        SMC PENTAX 1:1.4/50

I have the -A version of the ƒ1.4 which has "50mm".

However, my older version, pre-M, called a 'K' is the 55, which reads, as does
yours —

SMC PENTAX  1:1.8/55
from what I understand, this was the same lens used for the threaded Pentaxes,
dressed up in newer clothes. I might therefor propose that the ƒ1.4 you have
was of the 'K' variety. The only -M I have at hand is the Pancake 40 mm which
reads SMC PENTAX - M  1:2.8 40mm (Note the small case mm like my -A ƒ1.4)

Don't know if that helps, but there it is...

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

THE SENILITY PRAYER :
Grant me the senility to forget the people
I never liked anyway,
The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.