Looks like Bob solved the mystery.

The greatest thing is that the guy I got the 50/1.4 from acted like he has scads and scads of old Pentax glass around. Apparently, after serving in WWII, he was deployed to Japan as part of the occupying force, and stayed there for quite a while afterward. He talked to me for a good hour about the island where Asahi got the sand for use in the manufacture of the lenses, and actually got to know some of the family of the guy who founded Asahi Optical. He was a really interesting guy.

It's funny how I came about getting the lens, too. Seems the guy I was talking to is letting his son run the shop these days, and that's who I usually deal with. But, he just happened to be in the shop when I stopped in to check on possibly buying one of the new 35/2.4 -- which they didn't have in stock. I'd asked the son previously if they had any old used prime lenses, and he denied that they had anything like that. I then asked him if they had any kind of primes at all, and he said (and I quote) "What do you mean by a 'prime' lens?"

I shudder to think what's going to happen to this poor man's business when he passes away and leaves it entirely in the hands of this son. For some reason, I don't think he was happy with his dad for telling me they had such lenses in the back -- which I assume is because he doesn't have the slightest idea of what they're good for, or how much to charge for them ... or anything about them at all, for that matter.

All I can say is I plan to go back very soon and inquire as to whether or not they might have an old M 50/1.2 lying around. The guy mentioned for sure that they had some 135/2.8's and 135/3.5's, as well as some pancake lenses. And, so, I may have just died and gone to Pentax heaven. :-)

-- Walt