Otis Wright, Jr. wrote:

> And, IMHO one should also verify the data is properly recorded on the
> copies and that the recovery process (software/hardware) works.
>
> I see a half dozen or so major data/information losses each year where
> the backup process is executed flawlessly -- or nearly so, but the
> data is lost due to inadequate testing the recovery process.

 I heard a good story from an ex-Telecom guy here.  Apparently they'd
upgraded the software on an exchange and everything appeared to be
going normally for several months, until one day when the whole thing
turned to custard (crashed).  It was so bad that they had to restore
the system off their tape backups.

What they didn't realise is that the software upgrade had a bug which
was writing corrupt data to the tape.  They keep about 6 months worth
of tapes and they were all stuffed as the upgrade had been done a
long time beforehand.  All the data had to be re-entered by hand from
written records.

You can never be too paranoid about your backups...
- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/ (out of date)