On 2/8/2011 11:01 AM, Don Guthrie wrote:
Walt I love the contrast and look of these photos. Especially # 2 &3 (dog & barn) The 1st one with the horse caught my eye but it maybe need a tighter crop or maybe would look great in a 4 ft blow up Tramping around in the snow and cold is tiring & the technical things sometimes suffer but the composition is the main thing
Thank you, Don!

I did a few different crops on that horse shot, but the focus is a bit soft and sharpening artifacts were painfully obvious when I tried to make it any better. I'll give it another shot, though, and see if I can do any better with another hamfisted attempt.

Boy I thought I was the only one who suffered from the "lets get to shooting" syndrome. I am the fastest and most careless landscape shooter in the world.

I once saw a Canadian goose on the lake close to shore and I ran down the hill firing the camera as I went. I fell down knocked myself out for a minute saw stars and all that. When I recovered I discovered it was not a goose but a decoy that had gotten loose.

I shot 10 out of focus pictures just this week because I forgot I had moved focus off the shutter and onto the ok button on the back.

What I lack in skill I makeup in speed and enthusiasm.
Yikes! Glad you weren't hurt more seriously ... or the camera, for that matter! I can just imagine what it must have felt like to discover it was a decoy. I've managed to avoid that kind of mishap so far. But then again, I'm still under 10,000 shutter actuations on my K-x, so there'll obviously be plenty of opportunities in the future.

I am one of the world's worst about it. Ted Beilby can attest to my shooting style from our outings when I was in Arkansas this past fall. The first day, I took half of my shots with shake-reduction turned off while shooting hand-held. I'm sure you can imagine how well some of those shots came out. It sure gives me a healthy respect for the old masters who had to do it all manually.

Thanks for the kind words. I have a feeling I'm going to have a difficult time ever taking that 50/1.4 off the body.

-- Walt