On Feb 10, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> On 11-02-10 2:34 PM, eckinator wrote:
>> maybe it listens for the shutter? =)
>> wouldn't it be enough to timesync and then match gps log time and exif
>> time in post?
>
> That's exactly what some of these devices do. They simply record where you've
> been at some predetermined rate (likely every few seconds). Then back at
> home, software supplied with the device matches the images' EXIF times with
> your location log and updates the EXIF.
>
> So you shouldn't even need to attach the device to the camera really, just
> carry it in your pocket.

In that case, it should be fairly straightforward to set up an Android (or
iPhone) to record gps data periodically, and go from there.  I tried to see if
such a program already existed, but most of what I got was about using the
internal camera.

In a similar vein, I believe that the pc jack is not limited by shutter speed,
as I've had several shots that didn't sync because the shutter speed was too
high.  In theory, one could buy a $10 bluetooth headset, wire the button to a
pc sync cable so that every time you took a photo, the headset would send a
ping to the android, then simply write an ISR that used that signal to look up
gps location rather than dialing the phone.

Using, of course, "beer and pizza" definitions of "simple" and
"straightforward".