On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:22 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>

>> The good news is that the metering on the K-r is good enough that TTL flash
>> is actually useful.  The bad news is that the AF540 is damn near useless as
>> a manual flash.  Keep your eyes open for cheap manual flashes, but watch the
>> trigger voltage and make sure it isn't so high that it'll fry your camera.
>
> TTL flashes don't work on the K-r, or any of the other recent Pentax DSLRs.

Mea culpa, I mentally translated TTL to P-TTL, just treating it as Through The
Lens metering in general.

> The AF540 is a good flash. It's P-TTL, which is the Pentax auto format. Why
> would you want to use it in manual mode.

So far, I've found three reasons to use my AF540 in manual mode, My K100Dsuper,
my K20D, and to a lesser extent my K-x.  Frankly, in my experience, Pentax
flash metering technology lies somewhere between useless and destructive.
Granted, it has improved a lot lately, and I have actually found several
situations with the K-x that using p-ttl with the AF-540 has led to photos with
nearly acceptable exposure. But, even if p-ttl were to work perfectly the
question of why I would want full control of any piece of photographic
equipment stuns me from a photographer of your ability?  Do you just leave your
camera in green mode and autofocus and let it make every decision for you? I
didn't buy a DSLR because of how well it took photos without my input, I took a
DSLR because of how well it lets me control it.