-----Original Message-----
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Larry Colen
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:23 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Newbie with DSLR and soon to be an owner of a K-R when it
arrives...

On February 10, 2011 5:23 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> Congratulations.  You have what you need to get a good start.

Thanks....

>I wouldn't worry too much just yet about which lenses that you need, spend
some time getting to know your camera and what sort of photography you like
to do, and that'll give you a better idea of what lenses you >really need.
On the other hand, a lot of people have old Pentax film cameras, with
lenses, lying around in their closets.  Ask around, there's a good chance
that friends and family have old gear that they'd be happy to >give to you.

I made up the list for possible future addition and will check if anyone has
any of the older Pentax film cameras laying around.

>The good news is that the metering on the K-r is good enough that TTL flash
is actually useful.  The bad news is that the AF540 is damn near useless as
a manual flash.  Keep your eyes open for cheap manual >flashes, but watch
the trigger voltage and make sure it isn't so high that it'll fry your
camera.

Thanks, though I was informed earlier that a TTL flash will not work as it
is P-TTL.

>Yeah, our weather keeps teasing us in the high 60's but just won't break
into the 70s.  Though I'm certain that once I shake this cold and can spend
time outside, the rains will return in full force.

We are going down to single digits tonight though over the weekend we are
actually going to make it up into the low 50's.

>My favorite photo book is "Light, Science and Magic".

Thanks I will check for that at our local library.

>Only post I've seen so far.
>Congratulations again on it.  I spent a couple of weeks testing one out and
they are excellent little cameras. I love my K-x, and the K-r has many much
needed improvements over the K-x.

I am hoping it arrives tomorrow as it will give me time over the weekend to
start playing with it and reading over the manual and all that learning
curve of having a DSLR.

Jeffery Johnson