On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:27:52PM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:

> Do you just leave your camera in green mode and autofocus and let it make
> every decision for you?

Sometimes, yes.  (Well, "P" mode, not Green mode, but that's pretty close).

> I didn't buy a DSLR because of how well it took photos without my input.
> I took a DSLR because of how well it lets me control it.

I bought a DSLR that was capable of doing routine tasks when I so chose
(just as I bought a SLR that could do that for me; if I wasn't going to
make use of the extra capabilities my good old MX would have sufficed
for anything except shutter speeds faster than 1/1000).

I'll decide when to automate shutter speed, aperture, focus, flash, etc.
But once I've made that decision I let the camera do the boring stuff.
That usually leaves the camera taking care of focus, and adjusting
aperture and/or shutter speed to get the exposure where I want it to be
(after my dialing in whatever exposure compensation I think is needed).
I bought a DSLR because of how well it lets me decide not to control it.