On Feb 11, 2011, at 1:27 AM, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>

>> On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:22 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>>

>>> The good news is that the metering on the K-r is good enough that TTL flash
>>> is actually useful.  The bad news is that the AF540 is damn near useless as
>>> a manual flash.  Keep your eyes open for cheap manual flashes, but watch
>>> the trigger voltage and make sure it isn't so high that it'll fry your
>>> camera.
>>
>> TTL flashes don't work on the K-r, or any of the other recent Pentax DSLRs.
>
> Mea culpa, I mentally translated TTL to P-TTL, just treating it as Through
> The Lens metering in general.
>

>> The AF540 is a good flash. It's P-TTL, which is the Pentax auto format. Why
>> would you want to use it in manual mode.
>
> So far, I've found three reasons to use my AF540 in manual mode, My
> K100Dsuper, my K20D, and to a lesser extent my K-x.  Frankly, in my
> experience, Pentax flash metering technology lies somewhere between useless
> and destructive. Granted, it has improved a lot lately, and I have actually
> found several situations with the K-x that using p-ttl with the AF-540 has
> led to photos with nearly acceptable exposure. But, even if p-ttl were to
> work perfectly the question of why I would want full control of any piece of
> photographic equipment stuns me from a photographer of your ability?  Do you
> just leave your camera in green mode and autofocus and let it make every
> decision for you? I didn't buy a DSLR because of how well it took photos
> without my input, I took a DSLR because of how well it lets me control it.

I can exercise much more control over the P-ttl 540 flash than I ever could
over a manual flash. I can dial in exposure comp, plus or minus. I can synch it
at high speed, and I can tell it to flash trailing the curtain. Now are you
stunned? Apparently, you didn't know how capable this flash can be.

Yes, Pentax flash technology is far from perfect, and the 540 doesn't always
work in complete harmony with the cameras. But I've found it's very accurate
with the K-5. It was less than perfect with the K20, but I was still able to
use it very effectively on many occasions.

I use studio strobes on many occasions, and I've used manual flashes
extensively for many years. They're very limiting. At a given distance, you're
either locked into an f-stop or forced to resort to diffusion, filtering and
other means to try to get to the stop you want. Not good. Somewhat useless in
many situations.

Paul